You've clicked on a link to an event (The Sound of Music) that finished on 2nd March 2014.
Were you perhaps looking for this event?|The Incident (Performance)11 July 18 - 15 July 18
, Alexander BarPresented with support from the Swedish Embassy, Pretoria; the Swedish Author Fund; and Bilimankhwe Arts. Grateful thanks to Michaela Waldram-Jones; Goldsmiths Theatre dept, University of London; and Poplar Union.
Presented at the NationalArts Festival 2018.'Why do I have to represent a whole race when I just want to represent me?'
The Incident is a new provocative play by Swedish playwright Joakim Daun that tackles belonging, migration, racism and power through an intimate love story spanning Sweden and Zimbabwe. The play premiered at the Harare International Festival of the Arts in 2017 where it received critical acclaim form the audience and was awarded Outstanding Zimbabwean Theatrical Production in 2018.
The Incident is directed by Zimbabwean director Elizabeth Zaza Muchemwa and stars award winning British actress Mimi Ndiweni and Swedish actor Nikola Ruzicic.
'Enlightening. Wow, that was raw. No filter. Loved it.' (Audience Member HIFA 2017)
How 'progressive' are people really, when they're confronted with difficult choices?
Straight out of the National Arts Festival's main stage in Grahamstown, The Incident is brought to Alexander Upstairs by a team of international and South African theatre makers.
The Incident explores the experience of many Southern Africans who have moved to Europe in search for new opportunities and looks at the realities of living in a different culture, far from family, and tradition. It examines what it means to 'belong,' for an ambitious, black African woman in a mostly white male dominated society.
Theatre • Running Time: 80 mins
Written and Produced by Joakim Daun | Directed by Elizabeth Zaza Muchemwa | Performed by Mimi Ndiweni and Nikola Ruzicic | Dramaturgy by Zoë-Guzy Sprague | Stage Managed by Thabiso Tshbalala | Technical Stage Manager and Sound Design by James Ball | Lighting design by Nic Farman | Set and Costume Design by Cecilia Trono | Music by Lovedale Makalanga & Brezhnev Guveya | Workshop facilitation by Thoriso Moseneke & Courage Chinokewtu | Film by Anton Califano | Graphic Design by Tyme Design
Wednesday - Friday: 19:00
Saturday: 15:00 & 19:00
Sunday: 15:00Click here to view this event >>
Not what you're looking for? Perhaps it's one of these:
Most popular on What's On this week
- When Swallows Cry, The Drama Factory (21-23 Jun)
- Noddy, Artscape Theatre Centre (23 Jun - 7 Jul)
- Cartoon Network live in SA, GrandWest Casino and Entertainment World (26 Jun - 1 Jul)
- Theatre of Temptations, Café Roux | Cape Town (1 Jul)
- Gertrude Stein and A Companion, Alexander Bar (25-30 Jun)
- The Deficit, Alexander Bar (2-8 Jul)
- Macbeth - Screening, The Fugard Theatre (1 Jul)
- Frankie and Johnny in the Claire de Lune, Alexander Bar (26 Jun - 7 Jul)
- Alunamda, Artscape Theatre Centre (27-30 Jun)
- Othello: A Woman's Story, The Drama Factory (27 Jun - 1 Jul)
- Kahn Morbee, Café Roux | Cape Town (20 Jun)
- Karen Zoid, Artscape Theatre Centre (20 Jun)
- Garage Party, GrandWest Casino and Entertainment World (23 Jun)
- #JustMen, Baxter Theatre Centre / Concert Hall (13-30 Jun)
- Zanele Muholi - LGBTQI+, Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art (22 Sep - 25 Jun)
- Farewell South Africa, with love Randy Crawford, GrandWest Casino and Entertainment World (23 Oct)
- Red Bull BC One Cypher, Cape Town Stadium (23 Jun)
- Com!cs 2018 - Opening, Association For Visual Arts | AVA Gallery (21 Jun)
- Tap Dogs, GrandWest Casino and Entertainment World (22-26 Aug)
- Caliente – Circo De Danza, Kalk Bay Theatre (19-23 Jun)
Popular this week
Events near you
Check out our Instagram feed #thisiswhatson