You've clicked on a link to an event (CTAFF - Photo Exhibition + Closing Party) that finished on 28th April.
Were you perhaps looking for this event?|What is South Africa, even? a group exhibition at Worldart (Exhibition)01 August 18 - 30 August 18
, Worldart GalleryWhat is South Africa, even? A group exhibition curated by Carlyn Strydom with works by Art of Brother, Lhola Amira and Ronald Muchatuta.
What is South Africa, even? explores the notion of a country coming to terms with itself as a diverse and complex society. Lhola Amira, Ronald Muchatuta and Art of Brother, the creative collective comprising of Karabo Makenna and Cobus Engelbrecht, will each present a body of work in response to this theme.
The exhibition aims to reflect on the outdated notions of the nation. As a term that was born out of modernity, with its parochial definition of what constitutes a nation. The exhibition begins a conversation on the relevance of such a term given our myriad 'origin stories' (thinking historically). The exhibition asks what South Africa signifies for those living in the country in terms of our shared experiences as human beings and our expectations in the community that makes up South Africa.
As a country trying to recover from its violent history, which extends beyond it boarders, an interrogation of the past and its impact on our present day lived realities is essential. How have structural inequalities shaped our country? How do our own histories and expectations living here reflect how we interact with the space that is South Africa?
What is South Africa, even? was opened to South African and non-South Africans to more broadly understand the county from a variety of perspectives. For, South African citizens are not the only people who participate in the economy and social-political life of this country nor are they the sole cultural contributors.
What is South Africa, even? opens on 1 August and will run until 30 August 2018.
Produced by Museum Her
Generously sponsored by Redbushed Fruit and La Vierge Wines
From 10:00 - 17:00Click here to view this event >>
Not what you're looking for? Perhaps it's one of these:
Most popular on What's On this week
- The Jive Cape Town Funny Festival, Baxter Theatre Centre / Concert Hall (9 Jul - 5 Aug)
- The Year Of Magical Thinking, Baxter Theatre Centre / Concert Hall (3-28 Jul)
- That Cool School Vintage Extravaganza, Trenchtown (25 Jul)
- Restaurant Week - Dining with the Stars | Winelands, Cape Town (19 Jul - 5 Aug)
- I was born hanging from a cliff, Baxter Theatre Centre / Concert Hall (18-24 Jul)
- Restaurant Week - Dining with the Stars, Cape Town (19 Jul - 5 Aug)
- After Dark: AKING & Bam Bam Brown, Two Oceans Aquarium (25 Jul)
- Thys Du Toit Memorial Mtb Challenge, Hopefield (1 Sep)
- Farewell South Africa, with love Randy Crawford, GrandWest Casino and Entertainment World (23 Oct)
- Capegate Craft Beer & Wine Festival, CapeGate Shopping Centre (31 Aug - 1 Sep)
Popular this week
Events near you
Check out our Instagram feed #thisiswhatson